From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:37:53
1 Hello and Happy New Year to all,
2
3 I am so enamoured with Gentoo that I couldn't resist passing on this bit
4 of trivia.
5
6 O'Reilly recently published a book called "Linux Desktop Pocket
7 Reference". The first chapter is available for viewing on the O'Reilly
8 website and in that chapter the author rated, from his personal
9 experience, 5 distributions under the following categories in the
10 process of getting Linux on the desktop:
11
12 Installation, Configuration, Program Installation, Documentation (Gentoo
13 rated 5 here, which is *totally* understandable and deserving), and
14 finally gave a weighted average for these.
15
16 The weighted averages for the 5 distros were:
17
18 Fedora: 3.45
19 *Gentoo: 3.75*
20 Mandriva: 3.70
21 Suse: 3.40
22 Ubuntu: 3.90
23
24 I've used all of these distros with the exception of Suse and can
25 understand why Ubuntu rated slightly higher than Gentoo. I found it
26 very easy to get it installed and for me, it detected all my hardware
27 and configured everything without a glitch. However, I find it
28 interesting to note that Gentoo scored the 2nd highest when it's
29 supposed to be one of the most difficult distros to get installed.
30
31 I admit, I did suffer some growing pains when installing Gentoo, but I
32 still think it's the greatest because of the control it gives me and I
33 have learned a lot about things like compiling the kernel in the process.
34
35 Gentoo rocks!
36
37 Regards,