From: Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Preventing a package from being updated
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:04:04
1 Hi,
2
3 I am using the ~x86 (testing) version of gentoo linux. After recent
4 updates, my X windows became extremely sluggish and I found out that the
5 problem is related to a new version of mesa (7.8.2 specifically). So I
6 downgraded to version 7.7.1 and my desktop works great again.
7
8 Now I want to prevent mesa from being updated until this issue is sorted
9 out upstream. I have looked at package.provide, but that didn't work.
10 Currently, I have placed media-libs/mesa into my
11 /etc/portage/package.mask file and this seems to do the trick. Is this
12 the recommended way for handling this situation?
13
14 Being a long time gentoo user, I want to do things the right way, so
15 just working fine isn't enough :)
18 Timur