From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox 68
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 21:53:42
1 On Monday, 16 September 2019 17:55:45 BST Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2
3 > On my system firefox started fine for the first time after the update
4 > but I was only able to get it running in safe mode for subsequent starts.
5 >
6 > As the error message indicates as well as the fact that firefox is
7 > starting fine in safe mode it is highly likely a problem with one or
8 > more addons.
9
10 Yes, I came to the same conclusion. A production machine has a million addons
11 on it and I would run into trouble if I were to disable them all.
12
13 My laptop on the other hand only had uBlock Origin on it. I disabled it and
14 uninstalled it, but it made no difference.
17 > In this case there is the option to refresh firefox but here you loose
18 > all settings for firefox and the addons.
19
20 I didn't want to lose my settings & bookmarks. So I stopped myself from
21 pressing the reset button. :-)
24 > What fixed the issue for me was deleting the files addons.json and
25 > addonStartup.json.lz4. As well as addons.sqlite which is superseded by
26 > addons.json anyway.
27 >
28 > After this firefox started fine. Having had problems with addons before
29 > I knew deleting this files is somewhat safe. At least there weren't any
30 > apparent problems afterwards. Bonus is you keep all your settings for
31 > firefox and the addons.
32
33 YES! This seems to have done it. Interestingly, I didn't find an
34 addons.sqlite file to remove, but having removed the other two my FF is back
35 in action.
36
37 > However I can't guarantee this works for everybody so create a backup of
38 > your firefox profile before.
39
40 Thanks Daniel, your advice worked in my case. I'll try now to sort out the
41 rest of the PCs.
44 Regards,
45
46 Mick