From: ABCD <en.ABCD@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LC_ locale settings for UK / GB.
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:50:28
1 Stroller wrote:
2
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > I want to try burning a DVD using k3b and when it starts up it
6 > complains:
7 >
8 > System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
9 > Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
10 > filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
11 > has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at
12 > all.
13 > An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data
14 > projects.
15 > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
16 > environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
17 > take care of this.
20 > Googling "LC_* environment variables" turns up this doc:
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml#doc_chap3
22 >
23 > I assume this document is correct & up to date?
24 > (and is not superseded by the LINGUAS="en_GB en" that I have in
25 > make.conf)
26 >
27 > This doc refers to a /etc/env.d/02locale file - I assume I have to
28 > create that by hand? The file does not exist at present. I guess this
29 > is the kind of thing I'd kinda expect you to create by symlinking to /
30 > usr/share/linguas/England or something.
31 >
32 > Finally, does anyone have the correct LANG and LC_COLLATE settings for
33 > the United Kingdom, please? I assume that again something starting
34 > "en_GB" is used.
35 >
36 > Do I need to set ALL LC_* variables (the guide lists 9 of them) or
37 > just those 2?
38 >
39 > This server is headless, so I'm using X11 over ssh - kcontrol's left-
40 > hand pane is blank.
41 >
42 > Thanks in advance for any help,
43 >
44 > Stroller.
45
46 Because I'm seeing some strange things in this thread, let me elucidate
47 as to what the various LANG/LC_* variables do:
48
49 LANG
50 sets the default for LC_*, if unset, defaults to "C"
51
52 LC_CTYPE [charset]
53 LC_NUMERIC [number format]
54 LC_TIME [time format]
55 LC_COLLATE [sort order]
56 LC_MONETARY [money format]
57 LC_MESSAGES [message language]
58 LC_PAPER [paper size]
59 LC_NAME [given/family name format]
60 LC_ADDRESS [mailing address format]
61 LC_TELEPHONE [country code, etc.]
62 LC_MEASUREMENT [US customary, SI, etc.]
63 LC_IDENTIFICATION [???]
64 Used as their names suggest, for the various things that can be
65 done with locales. Default to $LANG, if $LANG is unset, defaults
66 to "C".
67
68 LC_ALL
69 Override for LC_*. If LC_ALL is set, then LC_* is ignored, and the
70 value of LC_ALL is used for everything. *Do not* set this in env.d
71 unless you know exactly what you are doing. (Setting LC_ALL=C to
72 disable all locale settings, for instance).
73
74 I hope this helps resolve any confusion. If you want to see what the
75 current values of each of these variables is, including overrides, run
76 `locale`.
79 ABCD