From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: about the minimal install isos
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:55:56
1 On 06/24/2011 04:08 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> As for Gentoo installs, IMHO, they are in a bit of a mess right
5 >> now. Last weekend a friend decided to give Linux a try and I helped
6 >> him install Gentoo. The tarballs still, after nearly a month I think,
7 >> didn't include all the required /dev stuff in the stage3 tarball which
8 >> caused the machine to not boot. Maybe that's what you're seeing? I
9 >
10 > I'm at the stage right now of trying to boot from the vm harddrive.
11 > What is missing from stage3? Maybe I can get it straightened out now
12 > before turning the vm on its own.
13
14 Yes, it's a trivial fix (everything's trivial if you know how to do it :)
15
16 The /dev directory (before udev starts) is missing the /dev/console
17 device -- or maybe it's the /dev/null device. Crap, I can't recall
18 just now but I fixed the problem a week or two ago by using mknod to
19 create the missing device (I think it was /dev/console).
20
21 Just chroot into your fresh vm and see what's missing from the /dev
22 directory. Use mknod to create the missing device.