From: Novensiles divi Flamen <noven@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:48:46
1 On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:30:37 Grant wrote:
2 > >
3 > > So don't think that it's really expensive to have a do-it-yourself
4 > > solution in your garage or something, at least not too quickly.
5 >
6 > That sounds awesome from a DIY perspective, but this server provides
7 > 100% of my income and I feel like it should be hosted. Maybe I'm
8 > wrong. Does anyone else house a money-critical server in their home?
9 >
10 > - Grant
11
12 I love my home web server - its a great playground for me and the ~15 other
13 people out there who access it.
14
15 My business server is hosted. There is just no way I can provide the bandwidth
16 or reliability the business demands in a home environment. ISP maintenance
17 outages occur 2-3 times a year, and although I might not care if I can't
18 access the web between 2 and 4am one wednesday night, clients and visitors
19 from the US or Europe would have a legitimate problem.
20
21 Unless you can put in the infrastructure to guarantee 99.99% uptime in your
22 home (redundant internet connections from different providers, backup power
23 generator, climate controlled room, backup systems that work when you go on
24 holiday for a month, etc) you are taking a big risk with your livelihood
25 going DIY. I've had the occasional issue with my host, but overall it is a
26 very acceptable level of business risk and well worth the money.
27
28 - Noven
29 --
30 >-- Novensiles divi Flamen --<