From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Getting a valid /etc/adjtime while using ntpd ?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:50:50
1 I have a server SUPPOSED to be running 24/7, but every once in a while
2 during a prolonged absence the box will go down. The Real Time Clock
3 will drift, and in the rush to get the box up again I let everything
4 boot up automatically and get both wrong time on the main systems, and
5 different times on the various systems.
6
7 My setup has a main server which does NTP, but with no direct link to
8 the outside. Router&firewall /have/ to be booted booted later (dumb
9 setup, don't ask), after which I can finally get correct time from NTP.
10
11 NTP initiates "11 minute mode", which makes /etc/adjtime useless as far
12 as I understand. Anybody have a /correct/ way to account for RTC drift
13 on a box running ntpd? Right now I have a ---file in
14 /etc/cron.d/time-bad like so:
15 * * * * * root adjtimex -S 5 >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null
16 ---
17
18 Combined with an old-fashioned setup for hwclock during boot and
19 shutdown. This feels really wrong, and I have no idea what I am doing.
20
21 TLDR: Anybody have a /correct/ way to account for RTC drift on a box
22 running ntpd?