From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Tablet PC? Anyone?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:29:04
Hi:

  Does anyone on the list have any experience with Tablet PCs? I know
  many of the Tablets have guides to installation on Gentoo-wiki. Does
  anyone have a personal story to share? Any suggestions of a good,
  sturdy, Tablet that I should consider to buy?

  I primarily am looking for a device to help note-taking in class. I
  can touch-type in LaTeX quickly enough to catch up to most lecturers
  using blackboards, but using a conventional laptop there is almost
  no way for me to enter diagrams and simple illustrations. I won't
  need handwriting recognition that much: I can still do my notes in
  vim with LaTeX, and just have a macro that opens a small canvas for
  free-hand drawing and embeds the saved image automatically in the
  TeX file.

  Mainly what I am looking for is some sort of
  pen-mouse/tablet/touchscreen interface that makes drawing diagrams
  simpler (compared to a touchpad or the little dit that sits between
  the g,h, and b keys on a laptop). So if anyone knows of a laptop
  with this kind of built-in interface, it will also be good.

  I guess my question is: if I am looking to buy a tablet pc, and am
  intending to run gentoo on it, what specific things should I look
  out for (assume I know zilch. I'd rather have redundant information
  than missing information)? Are there any particular brands or models
  that are known to work extremely well?

Thanks,

Willie
--
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs."
        -- Lily Tomlin