From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Tablet PC? Anyone?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:29:04
1 Hi:
2
3 Does anyone on the list have any experience with Tablet PCs? I know
4 many of the Tablets have guides to installation on Gentoo-wiki. Does
5 anyone have a personal story to share? Any suggestions of a good,
6 sturdy, Tablet that I should consider to buy?
7
8 I primarily am looking for a device to help note-taking in class. I
9 can touch-type in LaTeX quickly enough to catch up to most lecturers
10 using blackboards, but using a conventional laptop there is almost
11 no way for me to enter diagrams and simple illustrations. I won't
12 need handwriting recognition that much: I can still do my notes in
13 vim with LaTeX, and just have a macro that opens a small canvas for
14 free-hand drawing and embeds the saved image automatically in the
15 TeX file.
16
17 Mainly what I am looking for is some sort of
18 pen-mouse/tablet/touchscreen interface that makes drawing diagrams
19 simpler (compared to a touchpad or the little dit that sits between
20 the g,h, and b keys on a laptop). So if anyone knows of a laptop
21 with this kind of built-in interface, it will also be good.
22
23 I guess my question is: if I am looking to buy a tablet pc, and am
24 intending to run gentoo on it, what specific things should I look
25 out for (assume I know zilch. I'd rather have redundant information
26 than missing information)? Are there any particular brands or models
27 that are known to work extremely well?
28
29 Thanks,
30
31 Willie
32 --
33 "Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs."
34 -- Lily Tomlin
35 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 804 days, 14:54