From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 23:13:01
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 14:58 on Sunday 05 September 2010, John Blinka
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi, all,
5 >
6 > My trusty Inspiron 8200 is on death's door and so I'm looking for a
7 > new laptop - one that will run Gentoo straightforwardly, of course.
8 >
9 > I really liked the 1600x1200 display on this machine, which I greatly
10 > prefer to the 1600x900 display on the more modern Inspiron 1545 I own.
11 > Most of what I do now is through a web browser, and I can see much
12 > more of a web page with 1200 lines of display than I can with 900.
13 > And I dislike the massive width of the 1545 which makes it much less
14 > portable than the old 8200. I'd love to replace my 8200 with a
15 > machine of similar dimensions, but thinner and lighter. However, I
16 > cannot find any machine on Dell's website with a 4x3 aspect ratio -
17 > they all seem to be approximately 16x9 now.
18 >
19 > So, is 16x9 all that's available now in laptops?
20 >
21 > If I'm stuck with a 16x9 aspect ratio, then I'd like to get something
22 > significantly narrower and more portable than my 1545 (14.75", 37.5 cm
23 > wide) and with as many horizontal lines in the display as possible.
24 >
25 > Any suggestions?
26 >
27 > (And, yes, I'm open to a non-Dell solution.)
30 I seem to have deleted the mail you sent me direct :-( It was the one where
31 you mentioned you'd been to dell.com and couldn't find something 1200 pixels
32 high.
33
34 I see now what Dell have done - they change their model lineup periodically.
35 My XPS M1530 seems to be replaced with the Studio 15. I have multimedia keys
36 and speakers to the rear of the keyboard, this makes the notebook deeper by
37 just over 1 inch and gives room for a gigantic extended battery. Screen size
38 is determined by the height x depth so they made the pixels slightly non-
39 square and there's room for 1200 of them. True 16:9 is more like 1920x1080 and
40 they've done that on the Studios to suit the HDMI native aspect ratio. Makes
41 sense for a machine that will play multimedia a lot, I suppose.
42
43 That M1530 is an excellent notebox btw. Our techies can choose whatever they
44 want within limits, I know 6 chaps that have them and none failed or gave any
45 trouble whatsoever. Our devs hammer their notebooks :-)
46
47 The Inspiron is the cheapie and student range. I didn't bother looking there.
48
49 Of the Latitudes only the E6510 seems to have 1920x1080 screens - probably a
50 side effect of the model re-arranging.
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com