From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:12:44
1 Dale spent two cents:
2
3 > Just my two cents here. Problems like this are usually the power
4 > supply. Could it be the mobo, yes it could but the power supply is more
5 > likely, usually cheaper to replace and easier to. I had a friends puter
6 > that was acting weird, random reboots and such, it was the power
7 > supply. A bad power supply can cause all sorts of weird problems.
8
9 Indeed. Well, so can bad capacitors or a hair crack on a motherboard,
10 but those are rare I tink.
11
12 > If you can, unplug everything including the CD/DVD drive. No hard
13 > drives either. Just play with the BIOS. Basically, don't try to boot
14 > anything, just look at the BIOS itself. If it acts weird, start with
15 > the power supply. If you have to, go to a local place and pick up a
16 > cheap power supply.
17
18 I got three from a friend that once were mine, and I know that at least
19 one of them is definitely working. But the effect was the same.
22 > Random problems are hard to fix sometimes. You just have to swap things
23 > until you find the bad part. I would put the odds at 80% that it is the
24 > power supply tho.
25
26 I hoped so, as I do not have board or CPU to swap.
27
28 > While at it, do you know what brand and the wattage of your power
29 > supply? It could be that someone on here as experience with that
30 > particular brand or even that exact model.
31
32 I could look it up, but then, it's not new, and was one of the few parts
33 that survived a major hardware failure half a year ago. Maybe it got
34 damaged a little aready then. It seemed to work fine, so I kept using
35 it. These things are not cheap, as I tend to buy quality ones that are
36 silend and efficient.
37
38 I'll get a new board tomorrow, and hope I will have all back working
39 soon. I'm very used to my desktop PC. I have a notebook that is way
40 faster, but it's new and I don't have all my stuff on it yet. Oh, and it
41 runs Windows 7... I'm not sure yet if I will a Gentoo VM, or if I will
42 install Gentoo natively and run Windows in the VM. The best would be the
43 option to have both, I think I read an article on how this could be
44 accomplished. With Gentoo it's not much of a problem, I did that
45 already, but Windows will need some tweaking. And I do not have much
46 time for this these days.
47
48 Wonko