From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How does grub assemble a RAID1 for / ??
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:14:24
1 On 04/04/2010 18:50, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > No problem supplying it. I did the rebuild this morning but forced
6 > metadata to Type 1.0. No change as you suggested there wouldn't be.
7 >
8 > OK, here's:
9 >
10 > 1) lspci to read& lspci -k to see drivers both from the non-RAID kernel
11 > 2) The RAID kernel config
12 > 3) At the very end a diff between the kernel config in this email and
13 > the running one without RAID. (I.e. - the changes I made to attempt to
14 > mount / which is on RAID.)
15 >
16 > Note that the Marvell SATA controller is for two external eSATA ports
17 > that have nothing attached at this time. It's the Intel controller
18 > that's in play here.
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > Mark
22
23 [snip lspci data]
24
25 OK.
26
27 [snip kconfig data]
28
29 Something isn't right here. This .config appears to be severely stunted.
30 It's missing lots of options that should be defined (whether active or
31 not). Indeed, a typical .config might easily exceed 2000 lines. It's
32 also missing the comment at the top which describes the kernel version
33 in use.
34
35 Is this really the entire .config file that is currently residing within
36 /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux, having mounted the root filesystem and that
37 was used to build the kernel you're attempting to boot with? If so, it's
38 broken and you should just delete it entirely and start anew with make
39 menuconfig. If not, then please present the file in full (no diffs, no
40 obfuscation please).
41
42 Aside from all of that, notable options that are going to be required to
43 boot in your case are:
44
45 CONFIG_MD_RAID1
46 CONFIG_SATA_AHCI
47 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD
48 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR
49 CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION (normally implicit but worth mentioning)
50
51 That, and the option corresponding with whichever filesystem you use.
52 Also, make sure CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is off or else udev will
53 balk. You may use the forward slash key to search for option names in
54 make menuconfig (never edit .config directly). All needed options should
55 be enabled as <*>.
56
57 Also, if you're not experienced with kernel configuration and need a
58 skeleton .config with which to begin, I would suggest you take a look at
59 http://kernel-seeds.org.
60
61 Cheers,
62