From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 07:00:34
1 On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:48:19 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > I want to become a dev, what's my next step? There is none. Help out,
4 > and maybe someone will notice you? Ok, I'm on it. Been doing it for
5 > years, and I know several other people in the same situation. It doesn't
6 > work, and recruitment numbers are plummeting.
7 >
8 > There needs to be an explicit, documented process. And someone devoted
9 > full-time to mentoring new recruits. I can think of no better long-term
10 > investment of the foundation's money.
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
13 documents this from the new developer perspective. Note how it says to
14 contact the recruiters if you don't already have found a mentor yourself.
15
16 There is also http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/recruiters/ which
17 documents this from the inside, but when I wanted to become a developer I
18 found that more useful documentation :-)
19
20 So it is explicitly documented. Perhaps not well enough? In that case,
21 let us know what you miss.
22
23 Hans