From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Playback Problem
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:07:56
1 On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 08:55 -0500, CJoeB wrote:
2 > Hi Guys,
3 >
4 > First, let me say that I did search this problem on Google. I found a
5 > somewhat relevant solution, but before I try it, I thought I would post
6 > here.
7 >
8 > The problem is jerky playback of the dvd when I try to play it using
9 > kaffeine. The laptop on which I am trying to play the DVD is a Dell
10 > Inspiron M1710. It is less than a year old (purchased late April 2006).
11 >
12 > One of the things the post said was to check that dma was enabled by
13 > running hdparm -I /dev/hdc. I did that and this is the output:
14 >
15 > /dev/hdc:
16 >
17 > ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
18 > Model Number: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L632D
19 > Serial Number:
20 > Firmware Revision: DE04
21 > Standards:
22 > Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
23 > Configuration:
24 > DRQ response: 50us.
25 > Packet size: 12 bytes
26 > Capabilities:
27 > LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
28 > DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
29 > Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
30 > PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
31 > Cycle time: no flow control=227ns IORDY flow control=120ns
32 > Commands/features:
33 > Enabled Supported:
34 > HW reset results:
35 > CBLID- below Vih
36 > Device num = 0
39 > Another thing this post said was that the person switched from the
40 > scsi/sata system for the drive to the deprecated ide/sata model.
41 >
42 > Admittedly, I haven't rebuild the kernel in a while. I'm running
43 > 2.6.21-gentoo-r4. This was because when I tried to upgrade to the next
44 > stable version of the kernel after 2.6.21-gentoo-r4, it wouldn't
45 > recognize my hard drive as a sata, so I went back to a kernel version
46 > that I knew worked. Do you think a kernel upgrade would help solve the
47 > problem.
48 >
49 > BTW I have 2 gig of memory on this laptop, so the issue shouldn't be
50 > memory related.
51 >
52 > Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the assistance! :-)
53 >
54 > Regards,
55 >
56 > Colleen
57 >
58 > --
59
60 That a kernel recognizes a sata-drive as pata usually happens if there
61 are generic drivers present in the kernel. Deselect everything "generic"
62 and you should be fine.
63
64 Then you should try mplayer instead of kaffeine to be sure it's not
65 software related.