From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: hard disk access and recovery impossible under linux ?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:12:20
1 On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 31 July 2010 16:33:18 Dale wrote:
3 >> Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
4 >> > Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
5 >> >
6 >> > Volker Armin Hemmann<volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>  napisał(a):
7 >> >> On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
8 >> >>> Hi,
9 >> >>>
10 >> >>> My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from
11 >> >>> linux, but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad
12 >> >>> blocks.
13 >> >>
14 >> >> it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
15 >> >> it is working 'without problems'.
16 >> >
17 >> > Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
18 >> > 1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
19 >> > see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
20 >> >
21 >> > If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
22 >> > use this disk?
23 >>
24 >> Maybe windoze is ignoring the problem?  It's not like windoze has never
25 >> done that before right?
26 >>
27 >> Just a thought.
28 >
29 > Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while Linux
30 > does?
31 >
32 > --
33 > Regards,
34 > Mick
37 Not likely, though just looking at *how* it fails, if the data'd not
38 already been backed up, I'd hold at least a little hope that it's not
39 really a problem with the on-disk data, aside from what's been
40 corrupted since the problems started, but rather just the controller
41 and firmware. If I had a spare drive from the same batch, I'd swap in
42 the not-dying controller card and see if that got me anywhere. Since
43 the drive's already backed up, though... that one's a new paperweight
44 for the desk, and if the data's anything sensitive, physical
45 destruction of the drive's the way I'd go to 'secure' it before it
46 goes out with the trash.
49 Poison [BLX]
50 Joshua M. Murphy