From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wireshark on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:25:31
1 I'm confused on how to run wireshark on Gentoo. The ebuild says:
2
3 * With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated privileges
4 * have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap. WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER ONE
5 * POINT FIVE MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.
6 *
7 * NOTE: To run wireshark as normal user you have to add yourself into
8 * wireshark group. This security measure ensures that only trusted
9 * users allowed to sniff your traffic.
10
11 I added my user to the wireshark group, but there are no interfaces
12 listed in the program. I read:
13
14 http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges
15
16 "Running Wireshark (or any other network capture/analyzer, for that
17 matter) on Linux needs root privileges. Therefore, you have to have
18 root privileges when starting Wireshark, else you can't capture data."
19
20 I'm not sure how to proceed.
21
22 - Grant