From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] irritating cron habit
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:05:37
1 I fetch my mail using a user cron job, as recommended for security.
2 I also start my Internet connection by hand after logging in:
3 this is to avoid the jam which arises if it is included in the runlevel
4 but for some reason the physical Net connection isn't functioning,
5 when Dhcpcd sits there & can't be killed via Control-C.
6 Usually, this works very well, but occasionally the cron job runs
7 before the Dhcpcd command has made the necessary connection
8 -- it depends on when the start-of-minute falls -- ,
9 which results in a file ~/dead.letter , which has to be deleted
10 (the sequence of commands is clear from the Syslog file).
11
12 Is there a way to fix this ? -- I could perhaps write a 2-line script
13 which would run 'dhcpcd eth0 ; /etc/init.d/vixie-cron',
14 while removing Vixie-cron from the Default runlevel.
15
16 Does anyone have useful suggestions ?
20 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
21 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
22 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca