From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD recmmendation / input
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:58:27
1 On Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:54:25 PM Joseph wrote:
2 > No, I wouldn't get 1TB SSD too expensive but something like 300GB I might
3 > consider it. Are they worth the investment? What brand do you have and how
4 > long?
5
6 Please do NOT top-post.
9 Currently, from what I found out, good brands are:
10 Intel, Samsung and Crucial.
11
12 Do check on how they perform though, for my usage (Extensive use of VMs), the
13 Samsung EVOs were not suitable as the performance can drop with large writes.
14 (doesn't help when taking a full snapshot, eg. with memory-dump, of a VM with
15 a lot of memory)
16
17 But for most people, the EVOs are good.
18 The Samsung Pro does not have this, but costs more.
19
20 The Crucial has, according to some reviews, a cleaner shutdown where any
21 outstanding writes during shutdown are actually committed to disk. I am not
22 convinced I will ever notice it either way though.
23
24 Intel has good reviews and good performance.
25
26 For any model you are considering, check the reviews online as the technology
27 behind SSDs is still changing and the firmware and chips keep changing as
28 well. A good brand now, might be a bad one tomorrow.
29
30 For reference, I use the following in my laptop:
31
32 # smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep "Device Model"
33 Device Model: INTEL SSDMCEAC120B3
34 # smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep "Device Model"
35 Device Model: Crucial_CT1024M550SSD1
38 Joost
39
40 > --