From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strange equery behavior when piping output
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 21:07:51
I don't know when this started. I don't remember it behaving this way,
in any event. When piping the output of "equery uses", all descriptions
disappear. Example:

   $ equery uses app-misc/mc
   [ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
   [        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
   [ Colors : set, unset                             ]
    * Found these USE flags for app-misc/mc-4.8.13-r1:
    U I
    + + X     : Add support for X11
    + + edit  : Compile and install the mcedit application
    + + gpm   : Add support for sys-libs/gpm (Console-based mouse driver)
    [...]

But when piping:

   $ equery uses app-misc/mc | more
   +X
   +edit
   +gpm
   [...]

Case in point:

   $ equery uses app-misc/mc | grep gpm
   +gpm

What I want (and I think was getting in the past):

   $ equery uses app-misc/mc | grep gpm
   + + gpm   : Add support for sys-libs/gpm (Console-based mouse driver)

What happened? And how do I get the correct behavior back?