From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:18:16
1 On Thursday 05 July 2007 02:40, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I use Gentoo precisely because it's easy. I am not a programmer, and
4 > cannot do a manual project. I rely on others' makefiles. My
5 > "programming expertise" consists of...
6 [snip . . .]
7
8 I echo Walter's comments on my use of Gentoo. However, I am not sure as
9 others have argued that Gentoo keeps newbies away. Well not all newbies
10 anyway. When I started using Gentoo back in 2003/04 my total experience in
11 Linux was absolutely minimal. I had only booted Knoppix a few times. If it
12 wasn't for the handbook, docs and of course the forums, I would have probably
13 walked away defeated. Thankfully, Gentoo was a relatively painless and
14 rewarding experience (despite that back then I was installing from a stage 1,
15 and it was failing for a number of reasons). Having had a chance of
16 experimenting with Fedora, SUSE and Ubuntu I found SUSE the easiest to
17 update/upgrade, but nothing compared with the ease of portage and its
18 configuration options.
19
20 I would probably disagree that Gentoo is a dying distro - would think of it
21 more of a maturing distro like it was mentioned earlier. The natural
22 evolution of Gentoo may be that portage hands over to paludis soon
23 as a superior package management system, but who knows?
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick