From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting style on HTC Dream
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:39:44
1 On Friday 13 November 2009 23:35:21 James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > Do you mean "droid" as a synonym for Android?
4 >
5 > yes,
6 > Verizon is offering the HTC ERIS (DROID) phone, in
7 > addition to the Mot DROID phone:
8 > http://www.htc.com/us/product/droideris/specification.html
9
10 Nice phone, looks a lot like the Hero available here
11
12 > > To flash it you need root privileges which is a trivial hack;
13 > > carrier-provided phones usually have this disabled but this too has been
14 > > hacked around. Then followed Google and HTC's own docs on the flash
15 > > procedure
16 > >
17 > > http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Dream
18 > > http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Main_Page
19 > > HTC images available at http://developer.htc.com/adp.html
20 > >
21 > > This page describes how to install Debian so gentoo will also be
22 > > possible: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=507291
23 >
24 > Nice links but do they relate to the Mot version of the DROID, or just the
25 > HTC? Mot put a very fast Cortex-A8 arm chip in their phone......
26
27 Sorry, but I really have no idea. It might turn out similar to trying to run
28 686 code on a 486
29
30 > Will flashing work with the Verizon HTC Eris phone like yours?
31 > Not sure by my googling results.....
32
33 Everything I've read suggests that flashing either works or it doesn't, and if
34 it doesn't then you can roll back to factory preset.
35
36 But that's a big if, so you might want to wait till some of the more
37 experienced hackers show if it can be done.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com