From: Billy <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Esperanto locale
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:23:21
1 Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
2 > Well, that's a joke, isn't it? :)
3 > English isn't my first language... I don't understand that "ducks". :)
4
5 *ducks*
6
7 would be MUD speak or IRC speak that conveys action. In the MUD world,
8 the server would translate the phrase into an action such as :
9
10 You would see: JoeMudder ducks for cover!
11 I would see: You duck for cover, watch out!
12
13 In IRC, historically since MUD and IRC communities have shared the same
14 people, one would type /me ducks, and the IRC server would translate
15 that to
16
17 * IrCoP ducks
18
19 Since the communities were similar, the participants would infer the
20 same meaning - even if it wasn't spelled out explicitly on the IRC
21 server. The phrase would have "connotative meaning" in reference to MUD
22 speak.
23
24 In email and Instant Messenger chat, the same facility is used, except
25 the word is used by itself, or "bolded" by pre and suffixing the world
26 with asterisks (*).
27
28 http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/m/MUD.html
29 http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/i/IRC.html