From: che@××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:17:42
1 "Mike Edenfield" <kutulu@××××××.org> writes:
2 >
3 > Yes , of course it's /possible/, it's just not /practical/.
4
5 Perhaps, but still?
6 I don't se how that is less practical than collecting them to a ramdisk?
7
8 Just do exactly the same steps up to the "cpio | gzip" -part
9
10 I do agree with most of what you say
11 >
12 > Most Linux users, by a vast but very silent majority, are plenty happy to
13 > put / and /usr on one partition, wipe their hands on their pants, and move
14 > on with life. Thus, the people developing and packaging those required boot
15 > packages can leave them right where they are, and everything works.
16
17 I agree with that.
18
19 > Some
20 > Linux users have reasons (largely legitimate ones) why this is not a valid
21 > option. Those users have three choices
22 >
23 > * Move the required packages away from their default installation locations
24 > on their machines, as you're suggestion, and fix the order of your boot
25 > scripts to mount /usr earlier than anything that needs it.
26 > * Install (or develop) alternative versions of the tools that do not have
27 > the same boot-time requirements, thus allowing you to ignore the whole mess.
28 > This is what Walt and his mdev team are making happen.
29 > * Use an initramfs to do whatever specific thing your machine(s) need to do
30 > to make the rest of the software work out-of-the-box.
31 >
32 > So, it's not a matter of one choice working and one not. It's a matter of
33 > one choice being much lower maintenance for the people donating their time
34 > to produce the software in the first place.
35
36 Yes, that is a very valid point.
37
38 > If someone (maybe you) were to
39 > figure out the actual steps needed to mount /usr early in the boot, without
40 > and initramfs, without swapping out udev for busybox or whatever, I'm sure a
41 > lot of people would be interested in seeing how that's done. There's a
42 > possibility that it turns out to be way easier than anyone thought, and that
43 > supporting a split /usr becomes "no big deal". In practice, I'm going to
44 > guess that it turns out to be a way bigger maintenance nightmare (and
45 > probably more fragile) than:
46 >
47 > root # emerge dracut
48 > root # dracut -H
49
50 That's probably the way I'll proceed when I update udev later. But I'll
51 wait a while longer before doing that.
52
53 I'll going to miss the posibility of starting a kernel with only
54 init=/bin/bash for rescue purposes. But it's not a big deal.
57 > And probably won't be something that the developers or package maintainers
58 > are going to commit to supporting.
59 >
60 > --Mike
61
62 Thanks Mike.
63
64 This is my migration-plan
65
66 Today I have two disks with both three partitions
67
68 sda1 / -- sdb1 reserve-root. Regulary rsynced from sda1
69 sda2 swap -- sdb2 swap
70 sda3 lvm -- sdb3 lvm
71
72 sda3 and sdb3 is combined to the volume-group vg0, and I have all my
73 other filesystems in vg0.
74
75 I'm planing to create a vg0/root and copy the contents of / to that, and
76 later remove everything but /boot from the old /
77
78 How does that sound?
81 Christer