From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mysterious vanishing of DNS entry of www.youtube.com...was I hacked?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:09:54
1 Am Dienstag, 10.03.2015 um 19:16
2 schrieb Meino.Cramer@×××.de:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > the following happens some minutes before:
7 > I was searching on youtube for some reviews...
8 > and suddenly BOOM: "Server not found: Unknow host"
9 >
10 > I restarted firefox...which did not help.
11 >
12 > I did a ping & traceroute to www.youtube.com from
13 > the commandline...same results...
14 >
15 > Wireshark shows the DNS query to my DSL modem...
16 > and the answer was that from above.
17 >
18 > I rebooted my Gentoo box...no help...
19 >
20 > The problem vanishes as I powercycled my DSL modem.
21 >
22 > Any other access was working the whole time.
23 >
24 > Was my DSL modem hacked?
25 > Does anyone else noticed a glithc in the matrix?
26
27 I'm using youtube only occasionally and last use was some days ago, so
28 I don't know if there was something unusual today.
29
30 When I do a nslookup www.youtube.com, I get a whole bunch of IP
31 addresses. Maybe the DNS implementation on your DSL modem only cache
32 the first one. If this IP then is not reachable for some reason, it
33 would lead to an "Unknow Host Error" till the TTL of the cached entry is
34 reached and the modem is doing the next lookup.
35
36 But that's just a thought. Maybe your modem really was hacked.
39 Regards
40 wabe