From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa-utils + gnome
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:33:12
1 habutre . schreef:
2 > Hi guys!
3 >
4 > My problem it's following: I've a AC97/I82801 sound device building
5 > as a built-in on my kernel. My sound work a fun, but I can't store
6 > the sound mixer's without a alsa-utils, then all time that i wanna
7 > hear a good music, i did should change my volume controls. Then i
8 > installed a alsa-utils in my PC, but when i installed this package by
9 > emerge, my sound don't work. Any error appear, any exception occour,
10 > but the sound don't go out. The equalizer it's work, only the sound
11 > don't go out
12
13 OK, I'm very sorry to say I'm having a difficult time understanding
14 this. So let me first ask if what I've figured out is what you're
15 actually saying:
16
17 1. Your sound device is AC97/I82801, and you're using the kernel ALSA
18 drivers to run it, but you did not have (at the time) any of the
19 additional packages installed (such as alsa-utils).
20
21 2. Sound worked correctly, but mixer levels were not stored on shutdown
22 or restored on startup (because you didn't have alsa-utils installed,
23 which provides a script to do this).
24
25 3. You then installed alsa-utils, but now your sound doesn't work.....
26 this is where I get a bit confused.... there are no errors or
27 exceptions, but you do not hear any sound. The equalizer (*which*
28 equalizer??) works, but "sound don't go out" (means, you don't actually
29 hear anything?)
32 > Anyone already passed for this problem?
33 >
34 > Remembering : my user it's on audio group: audio:!:18:habutre
35
36 > my sound device has this permissions: crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3
37 > Jan 16 21:58 /dev/sound/dsp
38
39 > my sound mixing it's: esound
40
41 > my alsa-utils version: 1.0.10
42
43 This all looks fine (except for maybe esound, but that's a choice and
44 doesn't necessarily seem to have a bearing on this problem).
45
46 I think the first thing I'd want to know is: have you actually run
47 alsamixer to set your mixer levels; maybe they're all still muted?;
48
49 The second thing I'd want to know is: can you hear anything if you turn
50 off esd (esound) or set gnome/esd to use ALSA (never quite figured out
51 how to do that, so I just turned esd off)?
52
53 Sorry not to be more help, but I'm not sure you've given all the
54 information needed to troubleshoot this (since I'm not sure I understand
55 what the problem actually is).
56
57 HTH,
58 Holly