From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine hangs up with out of memory
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 01:31:09
1 On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:58 PM Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have an issue with a machine where I'm not able to detect the real
6 > root cause. It hangs up totally. It seems like it was running out of
7 > memory - but why? Hopefully somebody can give me some insight. As far I
8 > can see right now, it hangs up a few hours after an `emerge --update
9 > --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world`.
10 >
11 > The machine is an Intel Atom with 8 GB RAM (physical, max) and 24 GB
12 > swap (a file). So 32 GB RAM in total.
15 Might be worth adding zswap using zstd or lz4 to your config (uses more CPU
16 for less IO)
17 https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/vm/zswap.html
18
19 If you want to see which processes are using the most memory, run top then
20 type 'M' to have top sort by memory instead of CPU. You can also type 'm'
21 to make top show the memory numbers as an ascii bar graph. The man page
22 explains what VIRT RES SHR mean.