From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: File synchronisation utility (searching for/about to program it)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:16:09
1 >> ...I am using a flash drive as a cache, so to speak...
2 >
3 > I recently learned that flash drives wear out after about
4 > 10,000 write operations, which came as an unpleasant surprise.
5 >
6 > Just be aware that you are drastically shortening the life of
7 > a flash drive by writing to it frequently. (or so I've read)
8
9 I think the problem is the number of erases actually (but you erase in
10 order to write, so)...
11
12 This is number really is more or less, some companies achieve higher
13 number of writes, i think this figure shows a worst-case scenario.
14
15 Also, it's actually 10k writes per sector... git, as far as i
16 understand, will append new versions to the repository, so it's
17 writing on other sectors and only once. Only if you remove, prune,
18 cleanup the repository, then it would erase... and if you were to
19 format it every day and write to it once a day, (say one new write per
20 sector, on every sector, once per day)... i've quickly calculated the
21 key will last around 27 years. I'll be glad to buy a petabyte usbkey
22 for 10$US in 27 years man! lol
23
24 Simon