From: Pavel Volkov <negaipub@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet security.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:19:51
1 On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > The CA infrastructure was never secure. It exists to transfer money away
4 > from website owners and into the bank accounts of the CAs and browser
5 > makers. Security may be one of their goals, but it's certainly not the
6 > motivating one.
9 Well, at least CAcert doesn't exist for money.
13 > To avoid a tirade here, I've already written about this:
14 >
15 > [1]
16 >
17 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/in_defense_of_self-signed_certificates.php
18 >
19 > [2]
20 >
21 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/why_im_against_ca-signed_certificates.php
24 I've got a question about Gentoo in this case. If we assume that stage3 is
25 trusted, does portage check that mirrors are trusted? I'm not sure about
26 this. But if it does, then distfiles checksums are also checked, so they
27 are trusted, too. In this case you could trust a running browser. Until
28 your system becomes compromised in other ways.
29 This would be OS packaging system problem, not the problem with CA-->user
30 trust model.