From: hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the difference between emerge's --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:16:17
1 Am 10.01.22 um 01:59 schrieb Morgan Wesström:
2 > On a freshly updated system (emerge -uDN @world):
3 >
4 > "emerge @changed-deps" wants to reinstall 0 packages.
5 >
6 > "emerge -u --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 24 packages.
7 >
8 > "emerge -uD --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 181 packages.
9 >
10 > A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as
11 > I understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in
12 > an existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was
13 > to use --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using
14 > it in my regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the
15 > third example above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages
16 > that doesn't have any updated versions and I'm wondering if this is
17 > working as intended. I have a hard time believing that gentoo devs are
18 > pushing changes to existing ebuilds in such numbers on a regular basis
19 > without bumping the revision level.
20 >
21 > Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set,
22 > which I assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce
23 > the same result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or
24 > so.
25 >
26 > Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the
27 > difference is between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that
28 > difference is intended and what the recommended update procedure is
29 > these days to catch these and other kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?
30 >
31 > Regards
32 > Morgan
35 On my system most of this is related to build time dependencies.
36
37 #emerge -Duav --reinstall changed-use --changed-deps=y --with-bdeps=n @world
38 Total: 10 packages (10 reinstalls)
39