From: Drew <drew.kay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:41:44
1 > Following all instructions results in the console login prompt looking
2 > something like this:
3 >
4 > Linux version(hostname.unknown_domain)
5 >
6 > Which looks ludicrous ... it is also expecting domainname [or API
7 > equivalent] to return something other than "none".
8 >
9 > Tom Veldhouse
10
11 I don't know if this helps but I was fiddling with setting up 2006.1
12 and I noted the following...
13
14 1) dns_domain="" does nothing for setting the domain name. It appears
15 to be set via /etc/hosts
16
17 2) using "localhost" in /etc/conf.d/hostname will cause the domain
18 name to default to "none"
19
20 3) Setting a hostname in /etc/conf.d/hostname that doesn't match with
21 an entry in /etc/hosts grabs the domain name of entries that are part
22 of the same subnet. I don't have multiple interfaces on different
23 subnets to test other cases of this but it works for me.
24
25 My working config (mini.drew.homelinux.com) has the hostname of 'mini'
26 set in /etc/conf.d/hostname, 'drew.homelinux.com' set in dns_domain=
27 and mini.drew.homelinux.com listed under /etc/hosts.
28
29 Please note this was tested on an amd64 setup with a single ethernet
30 interface under VMware (running under M$ XP Pro x64).
33 -Drew
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list