From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: PATA performance
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:43:29
1 On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:14:18 +0200
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Sonntag, 29. Juni 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
7 > > cheap SATA-controller: EUR 35
8 >
9 > your are looking at the wrong places. Cheap sata-controller: 20€.
10 >
11 > cheap 500gb samsung disk 55-60€
12 > cheap 400gb samsung PATA disk ~60€
13 > >
14 > > By the way: Actually the mobo has two SATA-controllers but one of
15 > > them crashes on POST while the other one doubles the time the POST
16 > > takes. That's why they are both deactivated.
17 >
18 > I would buy a nice, big SATA drive and take out the PATA disks (a
19 > drive that supports NCQ and is not blacklisted). I did - and I never
20 > want to go back. The only 'ide' device left is my burner - in an
21 > external usb enclosure.
25 Sure, especially when taking energy costs into consideration, it would
26 be better to use a single drive but having two old disks for backups
27 isn't bad, either. Having 400GB would also be nice but is completely
28 useless for the purposes of this PC.