From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:19:02
1 On Thursday 01 February 2007, Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) wrote:
2 > > Also Pentium-M has a lower latency L2 cache than P-4. With respect
3 > > to pipeline lengths I was curious to see what they actually
4 > > were: P-4 has
5 > > 20 stages, P-M has.. err... < 20 stages (Intel won't say exactly!).
6 > >
7 > > I found this an interesting read for those of you interested in
8 > > this:
9 > >
10 > > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2342&p=1
11 > >
12 > > Cheers
13 > >
14 > > Mark
15 >
16 > At the risk of pulling this topic a little more off-topic - the P-M
17 > vs P-4 is an interesting case of a Pentium 3 chipset with a die
18 > shrink outperforming a P-4.
19 >
20 > The Intel Core (2) Solo/Duo CPUs are based on the Pentium M as well.
21 > Netburst is pretty much dead afaik.
22
23 Thanks for everyone's replies. I now know, 6 months later, exactly what
24 cpu I have :-)
25
26 I've been finding over the last 10 years or so that if I don't keep up
27 with new cpu developments, it takes ages to get familiar with the
28 terminology and current products again. I think it's called "the price
29 of rapid technology advances"
30
31 alan
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list