From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Corruption in reiserfs partition
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:50:31
1 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4225196.html#4225196
2
3 Hi. The forums being down, can you give me help by mail on the topic
4 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4225196.html#4225196, since I can't use
5 my Gentoo installation until the problem is solved?
6
7 The most important thing to me is to know the answer to the two questions:
8
9 1) How can I know if other files were corrupted?
10 2) Do you think I should just use the computer, after reemerging the
11 packages that provide the corrupted files? Or should I reinstall the system
12 from scratch?
13
14 The background is: a corruption ocurred in my reiserfs partition, possibly
15 due to hardware problems; I performed reiserfsck and recovered virtually all
16 files, but at least some files in /bin are corrupted. In fact, they cannot
17 be executed, and executing the "file" command on them tells that they are
18 just "data" instead of recognising them as an executable. See:
21 jorge@jorge:/media/hda2/bin$ for file in *; do file "${file}" | grep -q data
22 && wc -c "${file}"; done
23 13772 basename
24 13500 chroot
25 27048 cut
26 79420 dir
27 13836 dirname
28 59084 du
29 13436 env
30 23336 expr
31 24516 head
32 14644 mkfifo
33 18988 readlink
34 34100 rm
35 14684 rmdir
36 17740 seq
37 14772 sleep
38 65168 sort
39 37380 stty
40 12584 sync
41 35852 tail
42 34328 touch
43 27492 tr
44 12200 true
45 12800 tty
46 15316 uname
47 79420 vdir
48 23108 wc
49 12876 yes
50
51 Aren't all these files part of coreutils? So hopefully this was just a
52 misbehaved coreutils emerge instead of a consequence of filesystem
53 corruption.
54
55 For more details, see the forum thread.
56 I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
57 --
58 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.