From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curiosity...
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:34:58
1 On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Saturday 29 January 2011 06:33:39 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 >> > Hi,
6 >> >
7 >> > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
8 >> > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
9 >> > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
10 >>
11 >> > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
12 >> <SNIP>
13 >>
14 >> > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
15 >> > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster... ;)
16 >>
17 >> I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over
18 >> HDMI..
19 >>
20 >> > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
21 >> > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
22 >> > controller and IDE???
23 >>
24 >> The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
25 >> architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
26 >> maybe they do.
29 > they do.
30 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count
31 >
32 >> IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
33 >> but more simple.
34 >
35 > also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus. And some
36 > kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.
39 Yeah, makes sense that boot ROM/BIOS stuff is going to get accessed
40 through there.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Mark