From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PacketShader - firewall using GPU
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:50:45
1 On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Saw this on the pfSense list:
3 >
4 > http://shader.kaist.edu/packetshader/
5 >
6 > anyone interested in trying?
7
8 I see a lot of graphs touting high throughput, but what about latency?
9 That's the kind of stuff that gets in my way when I'm messing with
10 things like VOIP.
11
12 My first thought when I saw they were using a GPU for processing was
13 concerns about latency:
14 1) RTT between a video card and the CPU will cause an increase in
15 latency from doing processing on-CPU. Maybe DMA between the video card
16 and NICs could help with this, but I don't know. Certainly newer CPUs
17 with on-die GPUs will have an advantage here.
18 2) GPGPU coding favors batch processing over small streams. That's
19 part of its nature, after all. That means that processed packets would
20 come out of the GPU side of the engine in bursts.
21
22 They also tout a huge preallocated packet buffer, and I'm not sure
23 that's a good thing, either. It may or may not cause latency problems,
24 depending on how they use it.
25
26 They don't talk about latency at all, except for one sentence:
27 "Forwarding table lookup is highly memory-intensive, and GPU can
28 acclerate it with both latency hiding capability and bandwidth."
31 :wq