From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:12:36
1 On Saturday, April 11, 2015 08:42:20 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3
4 <snipped>
5
6 > > > 2. LD cannot find ncurses, -- It simply can't, in 64 bit mode either.
7 > > > That is the only error message it ever gives and vast amount of effort
8 > > > spent in sessions over the last year and a half have failed to find any
9 > > > solution. I only installed Gentoo on this machine four and a half years
10 > > > ago so it's hard to imagine what could have gotten this royally foobar
11 > > > in such a short period.
12 > >
13 > > If you kept your system updated all the time, you shouldnt have any
14 > > problems.
15 >
16 > Byte me.
17 >
18 > Linux is crap, it takes all the talent I have to keep this piece of junk
19 > running. =( I'm the user here, I am not going to take any lip from you
20 > about how I run my system. =| I put a great deal more work into
21 > maintaining my system than most of the rest of you.
22
23 If that is your opinion of Linux, why use it?
24
25 > > > The ncurses problem has been a low-level
26 > > > issue for a long time but, with tinfo set, 99% of packages worked.
27 > >
28 > > Define low-level issue. What was broken all the time that you ignored?
29 >
30 > Busybox, valgrind, a number of other minor packages.
31
32 Cause for these is in your make.conf, see below.
33
34 > > > 2. It sent out a profile that sets variable ABI_x86 with 32 bit enabled.
35 > > > ALARM: ABI_x86 should be set in exactly one place:
36 > > > /etc/portage/make.conf and nowhere else. But, nevertheless, ABI_x86 WAS
37 > > > set which broke the profile because my system cannot compile 32 bit
38 > > > executables. =( I tried the no-multilib profile but it didn't have a
39 > > > number of essential useflags and was foobar.
40 > >
41 > > You're still not providing the slightest bit of useful information.
42 > >
43 > > What happens if you try to generate a 32bit executable?
44 >
45 > Fails completely due to linking errors even though it should always be
46 > possible to compile something without its binary dependencies (with only
47 > the headers) because symbol resolution should take place at load time. =|
48
49 Cause is in your make.conf. See below.
50
51 > > What gcc are you using, with what settings?
52 >
53 > By all appearances, Emerge identifies the most broken version of
54 > everything it can find and uses that without providing any user feedback.
55
56 Cause is in your make.conf. See below.
57
58 > Here's my make.conf, some lines might be changed because I have been
59 > struggling to find a working configuration.
62 > /etc/portage # cat /etc/portage/make.conf
63 > # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
64 > # built this stage.
65 > # Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
66 > # detailed example.
67 > CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -pipe "
68
69 Most people tend to put -O2. Not much point to use -O3.
70
71 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
72 >
73 > LDFLAGS="-lncurses "
74
75 You're forcing ncurses into every single package. Please remove this.
76
77 > MAKEOPTS="-j 6"
78 >
79 > # WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
80 > # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before
81 > changing.
82 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
83 >
84 > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
85 >
86 > LINGUAS="en en_US"
87 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
88
89 You are running "unstable". This requires more effort on your part.
90 I would suggest switching back to "stable", eg. loose the " ~amd64 ".
91 NOTE: You either need to spend a lot of effort to bring everything back to
92 stable over time (see the archives) or start with a fresh installation.
93
94 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
95 >
96 > # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided
97 > by the
98 > # profile used for building.
99 > USE="3dnow 3dnowext amr apache2 ares audiofile autoipd avahi bittorrent
100 > blender-game bmp boost c++0x caps cdio cg cgi clang cpudetection
101 > css curl
102 > custom-cflags custom-tune debugger declarative device-mapper dga
103 > discouraged dolbyinrec double-precision drm evdev expat extras fbcon
104 > ffcall ffmpeg fftw firmware fluidsynth fontconfig foomaticdb freeimage
105 > ftp g3dvl gbm gflags gfortran ggz gl glade glut gmp gnome gphoto2
106 > graphviz gsl gstreamer gtk3 heterogeneous high-ints hpijs hwdb icu ide
107 > imlib ithreads jadetex java jit joystick jpeg2k kde kdrive lame lapack
108 > libffi libkms libwww llvm-shared-libs lm_sensors lua lzo matroska
109 > mdnsresponder-compat metis midi minizip mmap mms mmxext mozilla mp3rtp
110 > mpeg2 multicore multilib multislot mysql nas natspec netpbm nowin
111 > nsplugin ode ogre ois okteta openal opencl openexr openssl opus orc pae
112 > parport pch pcre16 perl pgo plasma posix postproc povray
113 > private-headers
114 > pulseaudio python python3 qml qthelp quicktime r600-llvm-compiler
115 > reiserfs script sdk seamonkey secure-delete semantic-desktop server
116 > sftp
117 > sip smp soprano sql sqlite sse2 sse3 sse4 static-ppds subversion
118 > system-boost system-cairo system-icu system-jpeg system-libvpx
119 > system-sqlite t1lib theora threads threadsafe threadsonly tk
120 > unlock-notify upnp upnp-av userlocales utempter uuid uvm uxa v4l vcd
121 > video videos vnc webkit xine xmp xvfb xvmc yuv4mpeg zeroconf -bluetooth
122 > -bundled-libs -dso -examples -libav -odbc -samba -vlc tinfo"
123
124 Why do you add all these USE-flags into your make.conf?
125 Have you heard about "package.use" ?
126
127 > CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse2_4way 3dnow 3dnowext sse sse2 sse3 sse4"
128 >
129 > RUBY_TARGETS="ruby20 ruby21 ruby22 ruby24"
130
131 These are set in your profile, please do not override this.
132 In other words, please remove this line.
133
134 > GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc efi-64"
135 >
136 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=1 --quiet-build=n --verbose"
137 >
138 > FEATURES="sandbox distlocks nostrip parallel-fetch userfetch userpriv
139 > usersandbox splitdebug -preserve-libs"
140 >
141 > PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--progress"
142 >
143 > VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia radeonsi radeon"
144 >
145 > source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
146 >
147 > PYTHON_TARGETS="${PYTHON_TARGETS} python2_7 python3_4"
148 > PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"
149
150 These are set in your profile, please do not override this.
151 In other words, please remove these 2 lines.
152
153 > ABI_X86="64 32"
154 >
155 > GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/"
156 >
157 > /etc/portage #
160 > Hmm, I don't remember when that ldflags got set, must have been a long
161 > time ago. =\
162
163 With the make.conf the way you set it, you caused all the breakages you have
164 been experiencing.
167 Joost