From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox Using 10G of RAM
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:11:13
1 On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 10:34 PM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 02/17 09:55, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > R0b0t1 wrote:
5 >> >> Hello List,
6 >> >>
7 >> >> This isn't normal. Is it due to the new process model? I think I read
8 >> >> that now they emulate chrome, which possibly means both browsers are
9 >> >> unsuitable for use. Firefox will require its threads be OOM killed if
10 >> >> not closely monitored.
11 >> >>
12 >> >> If it can be fixed - can anyone explain?
13 >> >>
14 >> >> Cheers,
15 >> >> R0b0t1
16 >> >>
17 >> >>
18 >> >
19 >> >
20 >> > Have you checked to see what in Firefox is using that memory?
21 >> > about:memory Then click on Verbose and then Measure. In the past, I
22 >> > have found websites that are just awful at loading everything Firefox
23 >> > has and usually for no good reason. It's one reason I use adblock, with
24 >> > some custom blocking not related to ads, and script blocking tools as
25 >> > well. I can give those memory hungry things a toss in the trash before
26 >> > they even load.
27 >> >
28 >> > Maybe that will help. Of course, it could be just Firefox being
29 >> > Firefox. I have seen mine use 2GBs in the past but never that much. :/
30 >> >
31 >> > Hope that leads to a clue.
32 >> >
33 >>
34 >> It's a good tip, but the report seems to be a bit optimistic. Firefox
35 >> claims there are 5 processes using ~500MB each, yet if I close Firefox
36 >> 10G is suddenly free. Regardless of whether or not Firefox thinks it
37 >> is using the memory, the kernel thinks it is, because OOM killer
38 >> triggers.
39 >>
40 >> It may or may not be related to certain webpages, I can't especially tell.
41 >>
42 >> Cheers,
43 >> R0b0t1
46 > Hi,
47 >
48 > try 'uBlock origin' and 'uMatrix' for a more specific block. You can
49 > even block certain elements of a webpage by simply clicking on
50 > them. Dont use uBlock (that one without the 'origin' in its name),
51 > since as far as I know it is no longer developed.
52 > Both do a good job for keeping your data yours, too.
53 >
54 > HTH!
55 > Cheers
56 > Meino