From: Ghislain Bourgeois <ghislain.bourgeois@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PC freeze with ati-drivers and gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r3
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:21:13
1 On 4/26/06, Jannis Achstetter <jannis_achstetter@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Well, I play UT2K4 here and it works. It ain't super-blazing (1,6GHz,
4 > 512MB RAM, 128MB-Graphics-RAM so can't be too good for such hungry
5 > games) but playable without any problems.
8 Glad to here that!
11 > > I used them a while ago, but they were quite crappy. Can you do
12 > > heavy 3D with them without pulling your hair out?
13 > What do you mean by "heavy 3D"? Hardware-accelerated image-rendering
14 > or games? I'm happy with 250FPS in Quake3Arena to be honest.
17 I was just refering to something more heavy than an Opengl screensaver. I
18 guess UT2K4 falls in that category.
19
20 I don't say you have to but if I were you I would:
21 > - - update the xorg to 7.X
22 > - - build agpgart for your chipset into the kernel
23 > - - build the DRM for the ATI Radeon into the kernel
24 > - - configure xorg to use the "radeon"-driver (This is not just changing
25 > one line, you will have to reconfigure the whole section because the
26 > different drivers use different parameters)
29 Is there a specific reason you suggest the Radeon driver from the kernel and
30 not from the ebuild? AFAIK, the one you can emerge is more up to date most
31 of the time.
32
33 But, I'll give it a try, I'm really getting tired of this. If the DRM driver
34 really works as good as you say, I will be glad to drop ati-drivers!
37 Ghislain Bourgeois
38 ---
39 Linux System administrator