From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Strange desktop happening following update world
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:35:25
1 On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> In short, jpeg-7 breaks some things :) It's not compatible with
5 >> previous versions and while most programs don't have a problem with
6 >> that, some do.
7 >>
8 >> I'm not sure exactly what causes XFCE to break, but gtk+ is broken
9 >> with jpeg-7 and causes other apps like gqview to be screwed up as
10 >> well. There's a patch on the gtk+ bugzilla that fixes it. If XFCE uses
11 >> gtk+ that might be the cause. Recompiling all of XFCE might fix it,
12 >> too.
13 >
14 > I see... thanks... I'm so lazy I've sort of gotten to liking no
15 > background wallpaper... I imagine stuff will eventually start working
16 > again with future updates... maybe I'll be ready for wallpaper again
17 > by then.
18
19 I use XFCE on my laptop which I haven't used since jpeg-7 stuff came
20 down the pipe. I may try it again tonight and see if I can make the
21 problem go away. I'll let you know if I can find any solution.