From: Willie <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am tired of this one.
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 22:49:04
1 On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Willie Matthews
2 <matthews.willie@×××××.com>wrote:
3
4 > On 08/02/12 14:39, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >
6 > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Willie Matthews<matthews.willie@×××××.com> <matthews.willie@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > <SNIP>
8 >
9 > Hey Mark,
10 >
11 > What technical information would you like me to post? I am not to good
12 > with troubleshooting.
13 >
14 > Driver Version is x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-302.17:0
15 >
16 > --
17 >
18 > Willie Matthewsmatthews.willie@×××××.com
19 >
20 > If you're gonna be a Gentoo user you will develop more of those traits
21 > over time.
22 >
23 > That's the newest driver. As per Paul's suggestion you might try an older one.
24 >
25 > Other than that post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well as
26 > your current xorg log file, most like /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but it
27 > might have a different name.
28 >
29 > As the 6150 seems to be an on-board GPU only used in specific nvidia
30 > laptop chipsets I have no idea about it's specs. As you say it's not
31 > CUDA-based I'm suspicious about mixing CUDA & non-CUDA and getting
32 > good results. You might query the nouveau driver guys to see if they
33 > support it. The 8400 is probably well supported there and likely
34 > someone will know if they support old & new NVidia chips running
35 > together.
36 >
37 > Also, if you can get it to crash and are still able to ssh in then I'd
38 > look closely at the X11 log file and see if it says anything, as well
39 > as dmesg, etc. Maybe you're up against a kernel bug or something. (You
40 > didn't tell us much about your setup...) ;-)
41 >
42 > HTH,
43 > Mark
44 >
45 > Hey Mark,
46 >
47 > I have tried numerous drivers, from I think 275 up, skipping a couple of
48 > revisions. I end up with the same result when it comes to the 8400GS. I
49 > have also tried the nouveau driver with the same result. I have to disable
50 > the acceleration for it to work.
51 >
52 > When I change the bios setting to use the PCIe it doesn't show the 6150 at
53 > all in lspci (I Think). I am using the same xorg.conf file that I use for
54 > my 8400, nothing about it has changed except for the addition of the
55 > suggestions of Paul. Even that change still have the 6150 still working.
56 >
57 > Here are the two files that you asked for.
58 >
59 > /var/log/Xorg.0.log http://pastebin.com/dPy7HPRZ
60 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/JQMr6HTS
61 >
62 > In the beginning this was my desktop with Gentoo on it. 8400 worked just
63 > fine. I started using it as a headless server for awhile and playing around
64 > with CUDA, now I am back to using it as a desktop but more for XBMC
65 > connected to a TV. I still use it to share the net, DNS, DHCP you know all
66 > that good stuff.
67 >
68 > Kernel Version 3.3.8-gentoo-r1
69 > Tried to build 3.4 series but it just crashes out this computer, haven't
70 > tried the 3.5 series yet.
71 >
72 > I also just looked through my /var/log/messages file. It is nothing in
73 > there about the crash. It just jump time 2 minutes. That is the same thing
74 > that would be in dmesg right?
75 >
76 > I will switch back to the 8400 to take a look at dmesg for the crash if I
77 > can ssh in still.
78 >
79 > --
80 >
81 > Willie Matthewsmatthews.willie@×××××.com
86 Can't get dmesg log. Can't ssh into it anymore! :(
90 Willie Matthews
91 matthews.willie@×××××.com