From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:47:20
1 On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 09:07:30 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I don't care if emerge uses cache
4 > DURING the emerge process because it is always enabled in both tests.
5 > The point is whether portage's work directory is on tmpfs or not makes
6 > emerges faster.
7
8 It does not, if you have enough RAM, precisely because of the part you
9 claim not to care about.
10
11 > The thing about what you are saying is that I ran those tests with the
12 > files in memory. What I am saying is this, that is not the case.
13
14 No, that is not what I am saying. Those files were loaded into memory
15 when you ran the test AFTER you cleared the previously cached files. The
16 number of times you run the test is irrelevant, as is whether you start
17 with an empty cache or not. All that matters is that the kernel caching
18 all the files used during the emerge makes the storage medium used
19 irrelevant.
20
21 Like I said, take a step back, a deep breath and a break of an hour or
22 two. Then read the posts again without your preconceptions of what you
23 think we are trying to say (which is not what we are actually saying).
24 Only when you have done that can this discussion proceed beyond the
25 current tit-for-tat exchanges of misunderstanding.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.