From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:39:19
1 On 08/12/2013 02:06 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 12/08/13 14:37, hasufell wrote:
4 >> Hash: SHA1
5 >>
6 >> On 08/02/2013 05:01 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
7 >>> On 02/08/13 05:48, Dale wrote:
8 >>>> Samuli Suominen wrote:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> Huh? USE="firmware-loader" is optional and enabled by default
11 >>>>> in sys-fs/udev Futhermore predictable network interface names
12 >>>>> work as designed, not a single valid bug filed about them.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Stop spreading FUD.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> Looking forward to lastrite sys-fs/eudev just like
17 >>>>> sys-apps/module-init-tools already was removed as unnecessary
18 >>>>> later on.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> So your real agenda is to kill eudev? Maybe it is you that is
21 >>>> spreading FUD instead of others. Like others have said, udev was
22 >>>> going to cause issues, eudev has yet to cause any.
23 >>>
24 >>> Yes, absolutely sys-fs/eudev should be punted from tree since it
25 >>> doesn't bring in anything useful, and it reintroduced old bugs from
26 >>> old version of udev, as well as adds confusing to users. And no,
27 >>> sys-fs/udev doesn't have issues, in fact, less than what
28 >>> sys-fs/eudev has. Like said earlier, the bugs assigned to
29 >>> udev-bugs@g.o apply also to sys-fs/eudev and they have even more in
30 >>> their github ticketing system. And sys-fs/udev maintainers have to
31 >>> constantly monitor sys-fs/eudev so it doesn't fall too much behind,
32 >>> which adds double work unnecessarily. They don't keep it up-to-date
33 >>> on their own without prodding.
34 >>>
35 >>> Really, this is how it has went right from the start and the double
36 >>> work and user confusion needs to stop.
37 >>>
38 >>> - Samuli
39 >>>
40 >>>
41 >>
42 >> * you are not telling the whole story about what happened and why the
43 >> fork came into life in the first place. It's not as simple as you seem
44 >
45 > True, I didn't mention people were needlessly unwilling to join the
46 > Gentoo udev team despite being invited to.
47
48 That's a bit unrelated. It wasn't just about the gentoo ebuild.
51 >> to suggest. There were good reasons at that point. Some changes were
52 >> merged by udev upstream and there are still more differences than you
53 >> point out. That has been discussed numerous of times.
54 >> * claiming that eudev didn't improve anything is wrong and can be proven
55 >
56 > I can easily prove eudev is nothing but udev and deleted code, plus
57 > restored broken 'rule generator', plus useless kept static nodes
58 > creation which was moved to kmod, plus needlessly changed code for
59 > uclibc support -- uclibc now has the functions udev needs.
62 Wonder why udev upstream merged back changes if it was all that bad.
63
64 >> * that eudev is behind udev most of the time is correct
65 >> * that it causes tons of breakage for users... well, I don't know, not
66 >> for me since almost the beginning
67 >> * eudev will not be treecleaned until the gentoo devs who maintain it
68 >> agree (at best, it may be masked) and even if eudev will be obsolete
69 >> at some point, then it has been a success
70 >> * I don't understand why you add those rants all over different
71 >> mailing lists. I have seen it numerous of times and your precision
72 >> about explaining the situation does not improve. If you think that
73 >> people need to be warned about eudev, then you should provide a reason
74 >> to mask it or drop it back to ~arch. Anything else is not constructive
75 >> and causes confusion.
76 >
77 > True, it won't be dropped for long as people are maintaining it. That's
78 > how maintainership works.
79 > But trying to lie to people it's somehow solving something currently is
80 > annoying as 'ell and should be corrected where seen.
83 Who lied?