From: Patrick Marquetecken <patrick.marquetecken@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix is very slow
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:11:57
1 On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:43:06 -0600
2 Kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
5 > > After changing the hdparm parameters and in main.cf
6 > > default_destination_concurrency_limit to 20 the speed whent up and i
7 > > send now 100 email in seconds.
10 > I'd bump the limit up to 100 or so if the box can handle it. If it
11 > can't I'd suggest increasing the RAM. As you've likely noticed disk I/O
12 > is going to be your main bottle neck. You can do interesting things like
13 > adding a second drive and running another instance of Postfix on it. You
14 > can also turn off all logging, but for 10k you shouldn't need to do
15 > anything creative.
16 >
17 > If you've never sent an email to your customers you're going to have a
18 > lot of bounces. It's just one of those things. From past experiences I'd
19 We have send emails to our clients, but from a Exchange server. We are switching from Exchange 5.5 to 2000. The reason for choosing postfix is that we have a corporate disclamer, but it may not appear on the batch mailing. With exchange 5.5 you could choose how to enable this but with version 2000 its not possible anymore.
20 If all goes well (i'm know it will) next year we are going to use postfix as mail relay for the incomming mails and also for spam.
23 > consider myself lucky to get 80% working email addresses. This brings me
24 > to my main point, bounce handling. Bounce handling is going to be
25 > expensive in system resources initially, but your return is pretty quick.
26 >
27 > Proper bounce handling should update you db with a marking of not
28 > active, etc for addresses that bounce. Also if it bounces, it's dead.
29 > I've seen some people wait for 5 bounces before marking an address dead.
30 > That's just dumb. I'd go maybe as high as 2 bounces, this ain't 1996 and
31 > mail pretty much just works now. All bounce handling should be done
32 > before the next mailing, so you can run with a cleaner lists. You should
33 > also run a few reports on you logs to see if anyone is marking you as
34 > spam. Again it's one of those things. Some idiot somewhere will complain
35 > and you'll either be blocked locally or end up on a list no matter how
36 > in the right you are. Best you're prepared to deal with it.
37 >
38 > kashani
41 > --
42 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list