From: Bryce Verdier <btv@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot System Setup
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:19:37
1 Ryan Tandy wrote:
2 > */Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>/* wrote:
3 >
4 >> Aha, the old "I've tried it and it didn't work for me so it's not
5 >> possible" trick ;)
6 >>
7 > *shifty eyes* maybe... but I know other people who have also tried it
8 > and failed, and I have yet to see a written account of it happening.
9 > So - guilty until proven innocent. ;)
12 >> I do remember trying it with windows 2000, and I think I got it to
13 >> boot
14 >> my redhat install, back in the days. I vaguely remember something
15 >> about
16 >> editing .ini or .sys or something files on windows, but I don't have
17 >> windows 2000 or redhat any more. And you know what they say about
18 >> memories being created, so it may (or may not) be possible :)
21 > Agreed.
22 I can say that back int the redhat 6.3 days, i was able to get redhat to
23 boot from the NT4 loader. And i could have sworn that there was a HOWTO
24 on the LDP, but i can't find it now.
25
26 So at least 5 or 6 years ago it could have been done. But with such nice
27 bootloaders as grub and lilo, why would you want to bother with XP's...
28 just create a boot disk for XP, just in case you hose grub, and you'll
29 always be safe.
30
31 bryce
32 --