From: eric <eriic1@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Audio through second HDMI output on GPU?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 22:41:34
1 On 5/21/21 3:10 PM, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 22:47, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
5 >>> about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
6 >>> low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
7 >>> openbox WM with alsa only).
8 >> I'm very sorry that when you asked this question a month ago you didn't like my answer. It was never my intention to 'derail' your question with DE or pulseaudio. That said no one else has answered that question nor have they responded to this one that you posted yesterday. I think you are in a fairly unique setup that most people don't deal with but it is an interesting area. I'd still like to help if I can.
9 >
10 > Maybe derailed was a little harsh. I was appreciative of your answer
11 > either way, as I might have left out some necessary information to
12 > make you ask about those things. This is still very low level as far
13 > as I understand it, so I'm not completely sure how to ask about what
14 > I'm wondering :)
17 >> To start please run the following command and let's see what ALSA tells us:
18 >>
19 >> cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#0.*
20 >
21 > There was 16 of these entries, /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.4 was my Acer
22 > monitor which I managed to get sound through with my command:
23 > aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav
24 >
25 > Most of the others simply showed:
26 > monitor_present 0
27 > eld_valid 0
28 >
29 > The connected TV was here:
30 > # cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.0
31 > monitor_present 1
32 > eld_valid 1
33 > monitor_name TOSHIBA-TV
34 >
35 > connection_type HDMI
36 > eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
37 > edid_version [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
38 > manufacture_id 0x6252
39 > product_id 0x108
40 > port_id 0x400
41 > support_hdcp 0
42 > support_ai 0
43 > audio_sync_delay 62
44 > speakers [0xffff] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC FLC/FRC RLC/RRC
45 > FLW/FRW FLH/FRH TC FCH
46 > sad_count 2
47 > sad0_coding_type [0x1] LPCM
48 > sad0_channels 2
49 > sad0_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
50 > sad0_bits [0xe0000] 16 20 24
51 > sad1_coding_type [0x2] AC-3
52 > sad1_channels 6
53 > sad1_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
54 > sad1_max_bitrate 640000
55 >
56 > All of this is quite cryptic to me, so if you can glean any useful
57 > information from it that would be great. The monitor output is fairly
58 > similar if you exclude the sad1*-lines at the end, the most prominent
59 > difference being the speakers line, which only listed '[0x1] FL/FR'
60 >
61 > Regards,
62 > Arve
65 Hello Arve,
66
67 I don't know if this will help but found a post with similar problem
68 with getting sound out of HDMI with Toshiba-TV. It was using a
69 raspberry pi so may not be any use to you but you may be able to find
70 something that will point you in the right direction.
71
72 https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62155
73
74 https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commit/47bd0f0f46bc053d8e21655e3a69c4a73ae19b41
75
76 firmware: [hdmi] Work around an issue with Toshiba TV
77 See: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62155
78
79 Regards,
80