From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel panics and more info
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:48:19
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:45:07AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> YoYo Siska wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I guess it starts to download it to a temp file, than moves it to the
7 >>> file you choose (never looked into it)... so the problem would be most
8 >>> likely in that operation..
9 >>>
10 >
11 >> I just find it downright odd that a browser causes a panic because
12 >> of a download when other programs, like emerge, can download just
13 >> fine.
14 >>
15 > Dale, what YoYo meant was precisely that: emerge gets files using wget
16 > (unless you configured it otherwise) which writes directly to the
17 > directory, whereas Firefox would first download something to (I guess)
18 > /tmp and (according to YoYo) write it to the "correct" name/directory
19 > once you give it to the browser. So YoYo is suspecting that it is this
20 > move of the file from /tmp (or whereever) to your download directory
21 > that is giving the kernel panic.
22 >
23 > BTW, you mentioned that this happened after a power-outage. Have you
24 > completely checked your disks and filesystem's health?
25 >
26 > W
30 I understand what he was saying and I already knew it done it that way.
31 I posted that in a reply somewhere. It does the initial part to /tmp
32 until you tell it otherwise, then it goes there. I can't recall it not
33 being that way. It's just hard for me to believe that Firefox or
34 Seamonkey downloading some file would cause a kernel panic like this.
35 This just isn't like Linux.
36
37 I think the power outage was a coincidence at this point. That said, I
38 have tested all sorts of things including running memtest. Hardware
39 wise, everything seems fine. I also blew out the dust bunnies which was
40 not much. I generally do this about every month or so.
41
42 Just hoping some update will change things, eventually.
43
44 Dale
45