From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:01:57
1 On 2014-02-15 10:16 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Not to revive a flame-fest against systemd, but...
5 >
6 > I'm sure some or most of you have already heard about this, but I found
7 > a really decent thread discussing this whole systemd thing. It is only
8 > really comparing systemd and upstart, as that was the debate going on in
9 > the debian TC, but it is a great read, and has actually made me rethink
10 > my blind objections to systemd a bit.
11
12 One of which was logging:
13
14 "20. Myth: systemd makes it impossible to run syslog.
15
16 Not true, we carefully made sure when we introduced the journal that all
17 data is also passed on to any syslog daemon running. In fact, if
18 something changed, then only that syslog gets more complete data now
19 than it got before, since we now cover early boot stuff as well as
20 STDOUT/STDERR of any system service."
21
22 From: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html