From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: updating old box: segfaults with python
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 21:12:56
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
6 > yesterday I started to upgrade an older gentoo server at a customer. It
7 > has only been updated now and then as they tend to save money and rarely
8 > contact me ...
9
10 > I would like to avoid to have to drive there so it would be great to be
11 > able to fix that from here, via ssh.
12 > Thanks for any help, Stefan
13
14 Well it's probably late to "chime in" but, I have faced your delima
15 too many time. I'm probably older and more of a grouch than your are
16 but this problem is too simple.
19 Build a second machine, with all they need, maybe a few new things.
20 Copy the old data to the new machine. FEDEX (whatever) the machine
21 to them. Since it is commercial and critical, no way in hell, I'd
22 do this cheap. Teach them an expensive but excellent lesson. Let them
23 keep the old box to do with as they like. They can even ship it to
24 you every year or so for an upgrade. Redundancy is some thing I demand
25 with commercial folks I deal with. Spare hardware onsite. Deploy one
26 upgrade the other. PERIOD. They choose not to call, you have left them
27 in good shape. The longer the duration between calls, the larger
28 the invoice to fix.
31 Customers like this are the reason many consultants/small firms go
32 broke. "MAKE MONEY" and at the same time cultivate them into
33 being a client you like having in your portfolio!
34
35 Otherwise, ditch the loosers! or as they use to say
36 money talks and bullshit walks...
37
38 ymmv,
39 hth,