From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Resetting USB flash
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:50:08
1 On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I was trying to zero out a USB stick and at some point it seems to have locked
3 > itself up. By that I mean that for all intends and purposes I cannot write to
4 > it in any conceivable way.
5 >
6 > I tried to delete /dev/sdb1 with c/fdisk, the dd zeros into /dev/sdb1,
7 > /dev/sdb and also the first 512B to delete the partition table, but nothing
8 > seems to work.
9 >
10 > /dev/sdb1 is still there no matter how I try to delete/format/overwrite it.
11 >
12 > Is there a way of resetting whatever needs resetting in the USB flash chip to
13 > make it work again?
14 > --
15 > Regards,
16 > Mick
17
18 Was it a drive with U3 on it? If so, there are tools you might use,
19 but I can't remember their name.
20
21 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3
24 :wq