From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can someone please explain to me why these bugs are duplicates?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 01:56:39
1 This makes (at least) two of us (me and the OP) who don't understand the
2 relation between the request for indication if portage wants to install
3 a stable or testing package and the bug where in some cases portage
4 misses that some dependencies are already provided. The feature the OP
5 requests would be helpful in a situation like this:
6 The user wants a stable system. The user wants a package with features
7 available only in the testing/masked ...newer version. In order to get
8 those features the user un-keywords the package in question. After some
9 time portage wants to upgrade that package. Now. The user doesn't want
10 to upgrade the testing version with another testing version but prefers
11 to revert back to a stable version providing the features (s)he needs.
12 Here would come the use of this feature which would indicate what kind
13 of package (stable or not) portage wants to install as an upgrade.
14
15 As already mentioned in this thread the workaround is to un-keyword a
16 concrete version, not the whole package.
17
18 Btw the bug is reopened by another developer who also thinks it is not a
19 duplicate. Lets see if such a feature would appear after some time. ;-)
20
21 --
22 Best regards,
23 Daniel