From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very old machine blocking/update questions
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:59:49
1 On Friday 25 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > OK, so this machine I Was speaking of earlier seems ot have a
4 > number of issues created by a profile update. I'm attempting to move
5 > from 2005.0 to 2007.0. I'm using these documents as reference:
6
7 Ooooh, this is gonna be fun!
8
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml#doc_chap3
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
11 >
12 > The second document is referenced because no version of portage in
13 > the library matches up with the version of python on this system.
14 > I've followed the instructions and now portage seems to work except I
15 > see this message which looks more like a warning than anything. Can I
16 > safely ignore it?
17 >
18 > myth11 ~ # emerge -pv system >>EmergeSystem.txt
19 > !!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...
20 >
21 > !!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...
22
23 Yeah, I think you can disable it for long enough so that you can remerge
24 sandbox. Or just take it out of FEATURES till the upgrade is complete
27 > myth11 ~ #
30 > More important are some blocking issues. From the text file I saved
31 > in the step above I have these blocks:
34 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
35 >
36 > Calculating system dependencies .^H^H... done!
37 > [blocks B ] <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking
38 > app-admin/python-updater-0.2)
39 > [blocks B ] <sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 (is blocking
40 > sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2)
41 > [blocks B ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking
42 > sys-apps/shadow-4.0.18.2)
45 > Are these blocks safe to remove? I assume they are system stuff and
46 > hence the system might break.
47
48 Here's a mail I sent to my colleagues about the python blocks. I'm sure
49 there's any easier way, I just didn't find it at the time:
50
51 =====================
52 Upgrading python on stable x86 boxes is a pain in the you know what.
53 This time it is worse than usual. Just like the usual bootstrap problem
54 of "you need a compiled compiler to compile a compiler so how do you
55 compile a compiler?" on Gentoo portage is written in python so if you
56 unmerge python to resolve a blocker, how do you then update python?
57
58 Most of our boxes will have python in SLOTS 2.2 and 2.3 and 2.4
59 This is a waste, you only need one. Hence the existence of
60 python-updater. It works like revdep-rebuild, and finds stuff using
61 python then rebuilds then to link to the most recent version. Latest
62 python DEPENDS on python-updater.
63
64 However, python-updater blocks <=python-2.3.something, so portage is
65 going to bitch about those SLOTS. I can think of 2 procedures to
66 resolve this, only one is tested (credit to Stef for this)
67
68 run 'emerge --nodeps python-updater'
69 run 'python-updater'
70 This will take a while usually.
71 Use eix to find all merged versions of python. Unmerge all SLOTS <2.4.
72 DO NOT UNMERGE PYTHON-2.4!!!!
73 Now run any portage tool. It will fail with "/usr/bin/python - no such
74 file". Mwahahaha.
75 Relax, python is not borked. The last unmerge will have deleted a
76 symlink. Put it back:
77
78 ln -s /usr/bin/python2.4 /usr/bin/python
79
80 Portage will now work again.
81 =================
84 util-linux needs to be removed to build coreutils as there is duplicate
85 functionality.
86
87 DO NOT UNMERGE COREUTILS!!!!!!!! Just don't even try....
88
89 emerge -C util-linux ; emerge coreutils ; emerge util-linux
90
91 I prefer to get these done and out of the way asap, rather than
92 unmerging a blocker and hoping emerge world will fix stuff as it runs
93 it's course. What is it doesn't and the box is left inconsistent?
94
95 pam-login no longer exists and it's functionality is replaced by shadow:
96
97 emerge -C pam-login ; emerge shadow
98
99 While doing this, keep a second root shell open. After the merge,
100 confirm you can log out of the original shell and correctly log back
101 in. If the shadow merged went wrong somehow, or your pam is funny, you
102 still have a working shell running to fix it. Otherwise, time to fetch
103 the trusty LiveCD
104
105 > thanks in advance,
106 > Mark